APIs and Webhooks

Photo by Christopher Gower on Unsplash

Over the last couple of years, I have been thinking about ways to develop more coding skills and put them to practical use. If I can build something, I know I’m understanding it.

A couple of years ago I started looking at documents or data that I was putting together (or asking others to gather) and realizing how much time this was taking and how often the information was inaccurate — largely due to the manual process. I started using a Google Sheet add-on called API Connector (I’ve mentioned it before). It is well designed and frequently updated and for a few dollars/month, it is a good investment.

Generally, I have the API set (I have used Postman and Paw to test and verify my API call) and then when I have a need for some new data, I run the script and review it. Lately, I found a few areas where I have scheduled the script to run daily and then pull the data into various Google Sheets. With this, I can look at a “total” sheet and look for any dramatic changes that warrant further research.

This last week I dug into Webhooks some and have been very happy with the outcome. A few things I found in this process are the ability to “see” what the system is sending (so you can parse the information effectively). This website (webhook.site) provides an endpoint that gives visibility into what is being sent and how it is being received.

Once I had this, I did some reading about using Google’s Apps Script to receive a Post request from the webhook and enter a row into a sheet. The script is very simple and works well.

The problem I was trying to solve was we have a sheet that following the repair of a laptop display, we note the student, the cost, the date, and general details (notes, school division, and tech). I have been trying to connect support tickets to it too for accounting purposes but with any manual process, the results are incomplete and inconsistent.

The webhook will fill in the date, name of the requestor, the tech and division, and notes along with ticket number and link to the ticket. I’m having an issue with the JSON formatting to grab the serial number, but that would be the trifecta.

If the system is being used to capture the support ticket, the sheet will be updated for administration and the business office to review and pay as needed.

I’m happy to share more information and discuss — would love to learn more. Hope this brings about some thoughts and interest.




Technology professional

Love podcasts or audiobooks? Learn on the go with our new app.

Recommended from Medium

Introducing Ict 0.6 and Bridge.ixi

How I integrated ‘Sign in with Apple’ to Keycloak

Create an EC2 instance on AWS

Animated source code statistics with Vizzu

[4k-HD]▷鬼滅之刃劇場版 無限列車篇 線上看完整版ZH(Kimetsu no Yaiba: Mugen Ressha-Hen, (2020-HD)在线观看完整版本- 高清电影

How to Filter Files From S3 Buckets Using S3 Select and Boto3

Interfaces in Unity

Experiment: Impact of CDN on load time

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store
Scott Adamson

Scott Adamson

Technology professional

More from Medium

IoT Hidden Menu: Amazing Hack & Features on Your Android

How to use Tin to quickly set up Apache APISIX in minutes

Building Okayar (Part 4): Authentication and Authorization via Firebase Auth

Kickstart Your Embedded Projects With ESP32 and PlatformIO